How do I add an applicant?
Once your account is established, log in here with your username and password. Submitting an applicant into the eRailSafe system will allow you to request a background check report on this individual. It is important to note that in order to have a report ordered you must enter the required government identification (i.e. Social Security Number or Supplemental Security Income Number). You will click on the add applicant button and enter data in the required fields. You will then need to click on the program button to assign your applicants to the railroad programs.
How long will my password be valid?
Your password expires every 90 days.
What is the 90 day rule?
If an applicant has not completed training, testing, or does not have a photo uploaded the applicant’s status will update to Program Canceled. When an applicant goes into Program Canceled status, the applicant will need to be re-enrolled into the program which will create an additional charge. The program button will allow you to enroll the applicant into the canceled program.
How do I unlock my account?
To unlock your account, you would need to pay your outstanding invoice by logging into your account and updating your credit card information.
Why does an applicant need to provide an email address?
The applicant email address is a required field. The email address will allow eVerifile to send the applicant his/her log in credentials. The applicant will also receive notifications via email when their badge is going to expire.
How do I check the status of a background check?
Please note that the average turnaround time (TAT) for a report is 3-5 business days. If your report has been pending for longer than the TAT, please contact customer support at [email protected] or 1-800-560-6435.
What is the cost of the eRailSafe program?
There is a one-time set up fee of $99.00. The cost is $70.00 per applicant which includes a badge, awareness training and testing, and a background check. This will need to be renewed every 2 years.
There is also an annual service fee based on ordering activity each year. Volume will be reviewed by eVerifile at the end of each calendar year.
• A fee of $100 will be applied in January of the following year for accounts with usage between 0-9.
• A fee of $50 will be applied in January of the following year for accounts with usage between 10-99.
• A fee of $0 will be applied in January of the following year for accounts with usage of 100 or more
I am having trouble viewing the website using Internet Explorer?
Internet Explorer (version 9 and below) does not support ERS 2.0. If you are having issues accessing or viewing ERS 2.0, please upgrade your version of IE. To view which version is currently being used, click the sprocket wheel in the upper right hand corner of the browser and click “About Internet Explorer”.
Can a badge be transferred?
A badge cannot be transferred because the company’s information on the badge will be linked to the previous company. Your applicant will have to take the awareness test and complete background check, in order to receive a new badge.
How do I add a report to my dashboard?
Contact customer support at [email protected] or 1-800-560-6435.
Why do I have to provide all this information on this customer profile?
This information allows us to verify your business and protect any companies that might try and impersonate you to gain access to railroad property.
How do I get a vendor ID?
Please contact your railroad representative and they will provide you with a vendor identification number. If you do not have a direct contract with the railroad, you will need to request the vendor id number from your general contractor.
How do I subscribe?
Go to this page, click on the sign up button, and complete the customer profile.
What is eRailSafe?
eRailSafe is the premier Workforce Safety and Security Management program for Class 1 Railroads and the businesses that serve them.
The purpose of the program is to improve the security of railroad applicants, operations, and facilities. As part of these efforts, designated railroad contractors, vendors and suppliers are required to comply with the program which includes:
- Personal Screening: Contractor/Vendor Personnel are required to submit to background investigations
- Compliance Awareness & Testing: Contractor/Vendor Personnel must complete required safety and security awareness tests.
- Workplace Credentialing: Contractor/Vendor Personnel are required to wear eRailSafe ID Badges when on railroad property. Badges are issued upon successful completion of background investigation and compliance testing.
What is the process to become eRailSafe certified?
- As a contractor, you will log onto the system and input all of your applicants into the eRailSafe system. Data will include name, DOB, SSN and address. You will then upload a tightly cropped color photo on a neutral background, excluding sunglasses and hats.
- You will assign your applicant the proper railroad program.
- Your applicants will then log onto the system and complete the test.
- After the investigation is complete, your application will be approved or denied access to railroad property. If approved, a badge will be sent via USPS or UPS to you to disburse to your applicants. If denied, the applicant will have the ability to appeal.
What background checks are run on my applicant?
- Extended Nationwide Multi-County Using 7 Year Address History
- Federal Criminal Background Check
- National Criminal Database Check
What are the reasons my applicant can be placed under review or denied to the program?
- History of convictions for felony and/or misdemeanor crimes of concern
- Probation within the last five years
- Incarceration within the last five years
- Any pending felony and/or misdemeanor charge
- SSN discrepancy/possible name mismatch
- Crime of concern within the last seven years
- Not disposed and/or open court case
- Out of service area
- Permanent disqualifier
- Background check canceled by contractor
What if my applicant fails the test?
The applicant will have the opportunity to answer the question until it is correct.
My applicant has been placed under review, how can he/she get approved?
If the applicant’s consumer report is believed to contain incorrect information, please contact eVerifile to file a dispute at [email protected] or 1-800-560-6435.
If the applicant’s information is accurate and you would like to provide information or documentation to the Railroad to reconsider the denial, you can file an appeal on behalf of the applicant by selecting the appeal button in the system. The applicant can also contact customer support at [email protected] or 1-800-560-6435.
My company operates from many locations. Can I have separate users and billing?
For your convenience, our system can allow you to have several users and they can access the system for different locations.
Do I have to pay the set-up fee per railroad?
No, eRailsafe has participation from most of the Class I railroads. The set-up fee is a one-time fee. If your applicant needs a railroad added after the badge is printed, and the background check is within 90 days of completion, you will only pay the price of the badge. If the background check is older than 90 days, you will pay the program fee.
What if I mistyped the SSN or spelled an applicant’s name incorrectly?
If you have entered incorrect information for an applicant, open their file, correct the information and click the Save or Update button. Doing this will cause new background reports to run and will cost an additional $52.00.
I already ran a background check on my applicants. Can my applicants just do training and testing?
No, the railroad requires a specific set of reports to be ordered on each applicant.
However, if your applicant has a current TWIC card, that card can be sent via fax or email. Once received and verified, you will be credited $15 for the federal background check of that applicant.
How long does this take to get my account set up?
Usually, we can have your account set up on the system within 72 hours.
How long does it take to get my applicant’s badges?
The background check is usually returned within 72 business hours; however it could be delayed due to the amount of counties being searched. If your applicant completes the training, testing and passed the background check, the average receipt of a badge is 5-7 business days.
Can I replace a lost badge?
You may purchase another badge for a fee of $13.00.
Can I use this system for other applicants besides those that work on the railroad?
Yes, eRailSafe is a program owned by eVerifile, one of the most respected background screening and automation technology providers in the industry. We are happy to assist you with all of your employment screening needs. Please contact support at [email protected] or 1-800-560-6435 and we will gladly assist you with screening your applicants.
Why is there an extra surcharge associated with New York?
In July of 2003, the state of NY changed their policy on reporting felony and/or misdemeanor record information. For certain counties, there is no longer a county seat available that reports felony or misdemeanor records. All information is forwarded to the state level. ANY statewide search is $95.00. As a part of the eRailSafe program, the NY statewide is required if any of the address yielded per applicant turn up in the specified restricted counties. Each eRailSafe client is notified of the NY surcharge during the account setup process.
What if I need a badge for a non-American citizen?
Please send an email to [email protected] stating that you have an applicant that requires an international background check and give us the country where the background check will need to be run. We will then supply you with the appropriate documents that will need to be completed and returned to us so that the report may be run.
The cost per employee varies per the applicant’s living history and includes a background check, awareness training, testing, and a badge.
1. Applicants who have lived in the U.S. for the last seven years will undergo eRailSafe US screening only. Program Fee: $70.00 plus any applicable pass through fees.
2. Applicants who have not lived in the U.S. for the entirety of the last seven years will undergo eRailSafe international screening and eRailSafe US Screening. Program Fee: $70.00 plus any applicable pass through fees and the cost of the international criminal report (price varies per country.) *Upon renewal after two years of enrollment, the applicant will undergo standard eRailSafe US screening only. Program Fee: $70.00 plus any applicable pass through fees.
3. Applicants who have never lived in the U.S. will undergo eRailSafe International screening only. Program Fee: $18.00 for training, testing and credentialing plus the cost of the international report *(price varies per country.) *Upon renewal after two years of enrollment, the applicant will undergo standard eRailSafe US screening only. Program Fee: $70.00 plus any applicable pass through fees.
Ready to get started?
Enroll a new company now or contact us